The Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for College and University Students is an initiative by the Department of Higher Education under the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. This centrally-funded scholarship is designed to provide financial assistance to economically underprivileged students pursuing higher education. The primary objective is to enable meritorious students from low-income families to continue their studies without financial constraints.
Key Highlights of the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme:
- Awards: Under this scholarship scheme, selected students are provided with an annual scholarship amount of up to INR 20,000 to support their day-to-day expenses during the course of their higher studies.
- Eligibility: To be eligible for the Central Sector Scholarship, students must meet the following criteria:
- They should have secured a percentile of above 80th among the successful candidates in their class 12 examination.
- They should be pursuing a regular UG/PG course at a recognized institution.
- Their annual family income should be less than INR 8 lakh.
- Application Process: Interested students can apply for the Central Sector Scholarship through the National Scholarship Portal at scholarships.gov.in. The application period generally falls between the months of August and November.
- Distribution: The scholarship is distributed equally between male and female candidates, with 41,000 scholarships reserved for each gender. The scholarships are allocated to State Education Boards based on the population of the 18-25 age group in each state.
- Renewal: Students who have been awarded the scholarship can renew it based on certain criteria. The minimum percentage requirement for renewal varies depending on the year of study.
- Objective: The main objective of the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme is to provide financial support to meritorious students from economically weaker backgrounds, allowing them to pursue their higher education without facing financial difficulties.
- Selection: Students are selected based on merit, and the scholarships are divided in a ratio of 3:2:1 among the pass-outs of Science, Commerce, and Arts streams, respectively.
- Payment: The scholarship amount is directly transferred to the students’ bank accounts through the Direct Benefits Transfer (DBT) mode.
- Application Timeline: The scholarship is generally announced in July and the application period extends till the last week of October. Please note that these dates are tentative and subject to change.
The Central Sector Scholarship Scheme is a crucial initiative that empowers financially disadvantaged students to pursue higher education and fulfill their academic aspirations. The scheme plays a significant role in reducing financial barriers and promoting education among economically weaker sections of the society.
For detailed and up-to-date information, interested students are encouraged to visit the official National Scholarship Portal at scholarships.gov.in.